Purpose: A PROGRAMMING assignment to gain experience with signals and semaphors.
You will build an intersection control system.
Create and initialize a semaphore before you fork. Print the semaphor ID.
After the fork, the child handles traffic in the N/S direction; the parent handles traffic in the E/W direction. Both try to get their cars into the intersection as soon as possible.
Handling of the intersection must proceed as follows:
- get a lock on the intersection
- print ”N/S car entering intersection” (or E/W car if you’re the parent).
- Sleep 1 seconds, this time represents how long it takes to cross the intersection.
- print ”N/S car leaving intersection”
- release the lock on the intersection
Both the parent and the child should loop until they have gotten 10 cars across the intersection (i.e., loop 10 times).
Demo: Your traffic control program. The instructor will also want to look at the code.